Please note that I had a baby in May of 2012. Because of this my reading time has been severely limited. While I take the time to read every pitch I receive, I decline more offers than I accept. Do not take this personally, it’s just that since my reading time is so precious I have to be very selective.
I obviously have a few genres that I am partial to. They are the ones that you will find fit into the majority of the books reviewed here. If you want me to almost always accept the book you are pitching to me try to keep it within these genres:
- Any type of mystery/thriller/adventure/suspense book. These are my personal favorite. If there’s a who-dun-it, I’m usually in. And if it’s got a legal slant to it, all the more better. I’m even starting to like espionage/terrorist adventures.
- History. Both fiction and non-fiction. I was a history major in college. I am extremely interested in the Civil War and Civil Rights eras. I also enjoy the Tudor time period. Anything with John F. Kennedy and the whole “Camelot” – almost a guaranteed interest for me. I’m willing to take a chance on other historical time periods, these are just some of my favorites.
- True crime. I used to be a total true crime junkie. I watched CourtTv on a daily basis during my early college days. I haven’t read as much here lately, but it is something that I do still enjoy.
There are some other genres that I am somewhat interested in. While these are not my absolute favorites, I still enjoy them every now and then. I am not guaranteed to accept these books, I will give them serious consideration.
- Biographies and/or autobiographies. I have a great interest in reading about the British Royal family as well as the Founding Fathers and United States presidents.
- Young adult. I actually haven’t read a lot of young adult. But what I have read I have enjoyed quite a bit. If it’s a mystery I would be very interested. If it’s a romance, I am more likely to turn it down. Paranormal – forget it! I also want to add that there are a ton of YA bloggers out there, I have no intention of trying to become a YA blogger so do not feel jilted if I turn your YA book down.
Now that I have told you what I do like, let me tell you what I do not like. While I like to say “never say never” when it comes to reading, I have to admit that almost 99% of the time I will almost always turn books in these genres down.
- Self-Help books
- Relationship advice books
- Sports related books (unless it falls within the biography/autobiography designation)
- Romance and/or erotica
- Chick lit
- Parenting books
- Religious books (I have been known to read some Christian fiction when it falls into the mystery genre, this is the only exception I will make).
If you think your book falls into one of my preferred genres, shoot me an email. Even if you think it falls into my “second tier” preferences, I’ll read your pitch and consider it.
There are a few other issues that I need to address before we enter into a working relationship.
- As I stated above, I just had a baby in May of 2012. Because of this my reading has really slowed down. When you pitch me a book, if you have certain time restraints be sure to let me know. If you do not indicate ahead of time, I will do my best to get to your book in a timely manner, but please realize that not only do I have a family to take care of, I also have a job outside the home and can only do so much.
- I have an issue with writing negative reviews. I simply do not like to do it. If I read your book (or worst case, am not able to finish it), I will contact you about choosing to pass on a review. In these instances, if you would prefer, I can always just spotlight your book. Please note that I will not return the book to you in these instances.
- When I am finished with a book, I never sell or trade it. If it does not become part of my permanent collection, I donate it to my local library. If you would prefer me to host a giveaway for my readers, I am more than willing to do so.
If you have read through this review policy and still believe that you have a book that I would be interested in, please shoot me an email. I look forward to working with you
Disclaimer: Please note that any book that I review on this blog (review/ARC, book I own, or library book) will contain my honest opinion of the book. I am not receiving any monetary compensation for my review. If I receive a book for review from a publisher/author, it will be noted in the review itself.