Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is a library habits meme…
This week we have a library meme courtesy of MizB:
Library Habits meme:
1) If you don’t frequent your local library, why not? N/A
2) If you do visit the library, how often do you go? Well, I don’t really have a set schedule of when I go to the library. If it’s not when I get a notice that a book on hold has become available for me or if I have something to return, it’s usually pretty random when I decide to head to the library.
3) Do you have a favorite section that you always head to first, or do you just randomly peruse the shelves? Um, most of the time I am there with a list of books to get. However, I always browse the stuff up front that they randomly place there to attract readers first. Then I will browse through the fiction area, then hit the mystery area, then sometimes I’ll take a stroll through the biographies then the true crime and finally the cookbooks before heading out. Now this is when I really want to browse the stacks … normally I have a list and I just go straight to what I’m looking for.
4) How many books are you allowed to check out at one time? Do you take advantage of this? At our library we can have 20 items checked out at one time; I have never had this many checked out (although when I was in college my senior year writing a huge paper I kid you not, I had 50 books checked out from the universities library … there was no limit there!) but when I go to the library, I usually pick up 2-3 books. I don’t like to pick up a whole lot of different stuff because I have a bad habit of returning books un-read!
5) How long are you allowed to have the books checked out? Three weeks unless there’s a hold on that particular book, and then it’s two weeks.
6) How many times are you allowed to renew your check-outs, if at all? If there’s no hold on the book, I think we have two renewals.
7) What do you love best about your particular library? Well, I don’t really know. Recently I’ve really been taking advantage of hold option online for books that have a waiting list.
8) What is one thing you wish your library did differently? Um, to be honest … I’d really like to know why certain books that I would consider mystery are in the fiction section and not the mystery section and then others are in the mystery when I would put them in the fiction …. I’m not sure I understand their system.
9) Do you request your books via an online catalogue, or through the librarian at your branch? Well, if something has a wait list, I always use the online catalog.
10) Have you ever chosen a book on impulse (from the online catalogue OR the shelves) and had it turn out to be totally amazing? If so, what book was it, and why did you love it? Hm … to be honest, Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain was like that for me. I happened to notice it on the shelf one day and I picked it up on impulse. I hadn’t cared much for Heart Sick and wasn’t sure I wanted to give this one a try, but I ended up absolutely loving it and was very pleased that I picked it up at the library, because I definitely would not have used a PBS credit on it based on my opinion of Heart Sick.