Easy Mexican Calzones
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts, room temperature
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Garnish: salsa, shredded lettuce, sour cream, sliced green onion
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Brown beef and drain. Add the chiles, water and seasoning mix; mix well.
- Place unwrapped pie crusts on cutting board; unfold. Cut each crust in half, making 4 half circles. Place 1/2 cup beef filling on half of each half circle. Place 1/4 cup cheese on top of each. Dampen edge of crust with water. Fold sides over filling; crimp edges with a fork. Place on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Garnish as desired.
Recipe Source: LuvRRecipes Yahoo group
Personal Review: I copied this recipe down from a Yahoo recipe group I belong to and thought it sounded really good. And easy. Easy is always a good thing in my house 🙂
If any of you follow Trish on Twitter, you might have seen her tweet a link this morning to a “nailed it” cooking post. It was really funny, and I have to tell you that the pretty picture you see above is not how the very first calzone I sealed up looked like. It was definitely a “nailed it” moment that I really wish I would have taken a picture of. I was ashamed of how it looked and I shouldn’t have been. By the way, I should tell you guys that we ate 3 of the 4 calzones that we made … want to guess which one didn’t get consumed? Ha! The “nailed it” one 🙂 Moving on…
Overall this is a really simple recipe. I cooked it for 18 minutes waiting for it to turn golden brown. It never turned that color and I think I might have overcooked it just a smidge while waiting for that to happen. So I definitely recommend watching that if you try this recipe. Also, I highly recommend using a good salsa for a garnish. (I can be a salsa snob.) I smeared salsa all over my calzone (after the picture was taken of course) and it was so yummy. Hubby smeared salsa and dolloped sour cream on his.
I served it with tortilla chips and salsa and mexican rice. Definitely an easy weeknight meal that I highly recommend and will be adding to my keeper recipe binder!