So Top Ten Tuesday has a new home! I’m glad that this is being continued on. I look forward to getting more active with it!
January 16: Bookish Resolutions/Goals
Hm…. ok, so I did a post kind of dealing with this back in November. To briefly summarize …..
- Rein in the book purchases. …. for the most part I don’t spend a lot of money on my books (hello used bookstore/Goodwill/library book sale) … but I also buy like 10-15 at a time …. oops?!
- Clear off my shelves …. read it or get rid of it (and then get rid of it … I don’t keep very many books I’ve already read, I’m not a re-reader). My shelves are at critical level right now. Gotta change that!
- Work on backlists AND new releases. I need to find a good balance of both.
- Read more non-fiction. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I spent most of my undergraduate years doing nothing but reading. And because of that when I first graduated (many years ago now, lol) I really went on a fiction spree. I needed the break it allowed me. But now I’m ready to get back into reading some non-fiction. I need to read more than just mystery books. I need to broaden my horizons – read some history books again, read some current affairs. I’m aiming to get at least 1 non-fiction book a month. I have this ultimate desire to start a sort of “president reading challenge” where I read a book on each President. In historical order. Sounds great, right? Until I look at the fact that the book I’ve chosen for George Washington is like 1000 pages and I just move right along to something else, lol. I have to stop being intimidated. It doesn’t matter if it takes me 6 months to finish that book.
- Scale back on the Goodreads challenges I sign up for. Basically I need to take a break from group challenges. I much prefer the freedom individual challenges allow me to reading what I want when I want to. A run-in with a fellow group member didn’t help my feelings on group challenges to be honest…. so yeah. Definitely time to get back to my individual challenges. Believe it or not – I really enjoy spell out challenges 🙂
- Enjoy myself. If I read 1 book in a month, who cares? That’s still 1 book. Don’t worry about the numbers. Don’t worry about the “it books.” Don’t worry about the “fluff books.” Just enjoy myself and read what and when I want. No stress. Just enjoyment!
So I think that’s all I’ve got for right now. Pretty broad and basic.
Basically …. have fun and enjoy whatever I accomplish with my reading 🙂